Monday, April 21, 2014 Register   
You are here:  Forums » Breeding/Propagation - General » Equipment & Setup » Why seperate broodstock from grow out?  
MASNA4

Community
Why seperate broodstock from grow out?
Last Post 01-26-2010 10:57 PM by Matt Pedersen. 2 Replies.
AddThis - Bookmarking and Sharing Button Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

Goby
Role:
Private Message Send Private Message

--
11-12-2009 09:54 PM
    The subject explains the question.  Why does just about everyone seperate their broodstock system from their juvenile grow out system?  It seems like it would be easier to maintain one system than two.
    I currently have them connected, for the record.
      Thank you,
      Scott
    Plankton
    Role:

--
    11-13-2009 12:13 AM
    Im no expert as ya know, but the asnwer I have gotton is to prevent the spread of diease and parasites. A brood migh appear in good heath when it has a sickness or a parasite that is not showing itself. When the fish is stressed these really come to pray on its weak immune system at this time. The thing I have been told it that it may not show itself in the broodstock but can be spread to the fry and cause mass deaths. Such as entire wipe outs( overnight(exteme) and then the broodstock falls as well from the bad water from the fry dieing off so fast. This is the only reason I have a uv sterilizer at this point.
    Copepod
    Role:
    Duluth, MN

--
    01-26-2010 10:57 PM
    Didn't catch this post earlier, but in my experience the main reason is waste, followed by disease. Growout is generally fairly heavily stocked, far more dense than broodstock systems. Should something go wrong as a result, last thing you want to do is take out the broodstock too. You can recover lost juveniles a lot faster than lost broodstock. For the record, I would not run any fish-based system without UV.

In looking at a few systems recently, one of the biggest ideas I've taken away is making things modular and having more systems. I.e. in my (future) fishroom, while I might be able to run the entire thing with 2 big systems, it might be better for me to break that apart into 4, 6 or even 8 smaller systems. The extra expense in equipment is somewhat offset by the more reasonable scale of the equipment, keeping spares on hand becomes more affordable.  While overall the risk of something going wrong could rise (because there's more overall equipment to fail) the effect of a failure will be limited in scope.
    "You only need to raise one..."
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3
    Syndicate   

Copyright 2013 MASNA   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |  Contact Us  |  Sitemap
    All images and content © Copyright 2009 MASNA, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.